The following post comes to us from Jessica Fender, an experienced marketer and blogger who has been writing professionally for 3+ years and enjoys sharing her expertise with others.
When you decide to become an entrepreneur or manage your own business, you know that you need to be visible on social media to have success. While the world of social media seems easy to understand, writing social media business messages requires advanced writing and organization skills. Even though social media contains a large pool of potential customers, you should be aware of the fact that every message that you post on social platforms talks about your brand. So, do you know how to choose the right words to tell your business’ story? Keep reading this article and find five useful tips that you can use when building your social media content strategy for your business.
Tip #1: Write Social Media Messages Your Audience Wants to Share
Before you post your content on social media, you should filter it through your audience’s eyes. Is your message something that your followers would want to share? If you want the answer to this question to be always “yes”, then you should first understand what makes people share others content on their wall:
- People will always share a social media post that adds value to their list of friends. Therefore, they usually share content that either contains helpful tips on a certain topic or is entertaining. A useful tip would be to write content that contains a clear benefit for your audience.
- Individuals decide to share a post if it helps them define their identity. You can understand who your target audience is by using surveys or creating buyer personas. For example, if you want to build a social media presence for your construction company, then you could define your target client as someone hardworking.
- People share content on social media if it helps them show that they are part of a community or to start a conversation with others. For instance, you can write your social media messages that encourage your audience to tag someone who has a specific type of passion.
- The people who are active on social media like to share posts that support a project/idea. Thus, a successful tip would be to write some posts in which you show your support to a certain cause or NGO involved in humanitarian actions.
- People are attracted by the type of content that helps them feel valued. So, writing messages that show your appreciation for your clients from time to time can be a successful strategy for convincing your target audience to share your content.
Tip #2: Write Social Media Posts in Your Voice
Your social media posts should reflect your brand’s voice. It is important to write social media content that is easy to understand by your audience. On the other hand, this doesn’t mean that you should lose your brand’s identity. Therefore, you must stay consistent in writing content using the tone and language that you normally use in offline interactions with your audience. This is how you create your brand’s personality and help your audience create an emotional and trustful connection with you.
Tip #3: Show Positivity in Your Social Media Content
If you decide to follow this tip, you shouldn’t think that your success in social media depends on your ability to create happy posts. Actually, there’s a big difference between how happy and positive posts should look. A business owner who decides to become viral on social media wants his/her posts to inspire the target audience and make them feel excited by what they read. Starting from this idea, you can build your content by sharing a personal opinion on a certain topic. Or, you can also stand on a certain cause that your brand identifies with, or it’s important for you. On the other hand, when you decide to take this path, you should stay away from falling into the trap of criticizing other businesses or the people who manage them. As long as you share your opinions or support any cause, and you do it objectively, without attacking anyone, you should tell your readers that you are a professional business owner and convince them to trust you.
Tip #4: Stay Concise
Your audience can remain interested in your posts as long as they are clear and concise. Social media platforms are filled with different types of content nowadays. Therefore, people are invaded by social media posts. If you want to make them spend some minutes of their time reading your posts, a successful strategy would be to be as concise and clear as possible. In case you feel you need help as you create something valuable for your target audience, you can work with skilled professional writers. The professionals working for Ultius.com can help you with their expertise to write comprehensive social media content for your audience and adapt it to the type of channel you choose to communicate your messages.
Tip #5: Don’t Forget About Call to Action
Why do you write messages for social media? You want to build a solid presence online and prompt your audience to take a specific action. So, you can do that by including a call to action at the end of your post. For instance, you can ask them to share your posts or click on a link that sends them to a specific landing page. On the other hand, you shouldn’t make your audience feel that all your content is promotional. Therefore, a successful strategy would be to start your posts with a provoking question that makes your audience understand that they can meet their needs if they keep reading your posts and take the action you invite them to.
Writing engaging social media messages for your business is something that can be improved in time and through exercise. You won’t obtain success overnight, but you will increase your visibility as long as you stay consistent and learn who your audience is. So, keep your content positive and write posts that help you connect with your followers.